Pedestrian Accident Lawyer: Maximizing Your Potential
Posted on: 27 December 2022Share
If you're a pedestrian who has been injured by a car, truck, or other vehicle, your life can be catastrophically changed in a moment. As an injured individual, you will also hope to maximize your settlement.
Here are some steps to follow when working with a pedestrian accident lawyer:
Local Pro or Big Firm?
When it comes to personal injury cases, deciding between a local accident injury attorney and a larger firm can be a dilemma.
- Go With Experience: Hire an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. An experienced lawyer will have a thorough understanding of the law and will be able to identify all potential sources of compensation. They will also be able to negotiate with insurance companies and fight for a fair settlement on your behalf. To maximize the potential of your case, you should also choose an accident attorney who is willing to take your case to court. Insurance companies will often offer larger settlements if they feel like an attorney is willing to litigate the matter in court.
Building Your Case
Although a pedestrian accident lawyer can do most of the work for you, you will also need to gather some crucial evidence to build your case:
- Assemble the Evidence: To build a strong case and increase your chances of a larger settlement, it's important to gather as much evidence as possible. This may include photos or videos of the accident scene, witness statements, medical records, and any other relevant documents.
- Gather Your Documents: Document your injuries and damages. This means keeping detailed records of your injuries, including the nature and severity of your injuries, the treatment you received, and any ongoing medical issues or disabilities. It's also important to document any damages you incurred because of the accident, such as property damage or lost wages.
Prepare for Battle
Insurance providers will look to minimize exposure, which can mean engaging in a prolonged settlement struggle.
- Don't Settle: Be prepared to negotiate. Insurance companies may try to offer a low settlement or deny your claim. It's important to be prepared to negotiate and to have a lawyer who is willing to fight for a fair settlement on your behalf.
- File a Lawsuit: Consider filing a lawsuit. If negotiations with the insurance company are unsuccessful, you may need to consider filing a lawsuit. A lawyer can help you understand your options and guide you through the legal process.
It's important to act quickly after an accident to preserve your rights and maximize your chances of a successful outcome. Contact a law firm like Stawicki Anderson & Sinclair to learn more.